Thursday, August 20, 2009

MKWW: My Name is ______ and I am a ______

Hi, my name is Allie and I am a cynic.

Main Entry: cyn·ic
Pronunciation: \ˈsi-nik\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French or Latin, Middle French cynique, from Latin cynicus, from Greek kynikos, literally, like a dog, from kyn-, kyōn dog — more at
hound
Date: 1542
1 capitalized : an adherent of an ancient Greek school of philosophers who held the view that virtue is the only good and that its essence lies in self-control and independence
2 : a faultfinding captious critic; especially: one who believes that human conduct is motivated wholly by self-interest


Oh yeah, that’s me. Well, most of the time. I naively think that people are inherently good, but I’ve been burned so many times that I just don’t really buy it anymore. What reinforces this is watching Boss wholeheartedly believe that people are good in the course of his work, and he gets burned time and time again. So no, I’m not so Pollyanna anymore.

I have a cynical streak a half-mile wide. Not a mile, not a zillion miles, just a half-mile. I look at it as something that tempers me, and adds to the common sense that just isn’t so common anymore.

I’m such a cynic that the first sentence is partially a lie: you know darn well that it’s a pseudonym for safety purposes. That can’t be a surprise though.


I’m such a cynic that I don’t ever believe anything a politician says.


I’m such a cynic that I don’t think that there’s a political magic wand to fix health care, as some people seem to think there is. Hell, Washington can’t even address the adoption tax credit stuff without obfuscation; what makes people think they can manage health care??


I’m such a cynic that I eschew half of what the adoption books say I should buy off on (and, one of these days, I’ll upload that review of Twenty Things. Really. And you’ll see how cynical I really am!).


I’m such a cynic that once I got a really good picture of assisted reproduction and its astronomical costs (physical and psychological), along with the fact that there’s no guarantee, that I said Hell No.


My bright Pollyanna side is the one that said Yes, Adoption is the Way to Go. Thank God for that!

I’m not sure that being somewhat of a tightwad (see previous post) is cynical. Nah. That’s prudence. Prudence is good.

But I’m not such a cynic that I gave up on the dreams for the future, especially when it comes to building our family.

I’m not such a cynic that a dozen years ago I completely gave up on love as I might have under the circumstances.

I’m actually pretty buoyant – but that cynicism, a healthy cynicism, keeps me grounded.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing. :)

4 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm a cynic about a lot of things too, especially about the assisted reproduction stuff!

Erica said...

Hopefully, this road to adoption will help you see more positive than negative. :)

Erica (my real name hee hee)

Allie said...

Oh, Erica, it's not that I'm "negative" per se; I think it's a protective mechanism and a necessary grounding.

I'm actually pretty sanguine about adoption. I look at the wait as a blessing. I haven't been this excited about anything in years. :)

--A

StylinMom said...

i can so totally relate...:)

and I don't think it is always a bad thing either!

m :)