Friday, June 19, 2009

Happy Friday... A Crazy Weekend Coming Up

I haven't gone anywhere. Just have been busy, and having a grand ol' time picking apart that awful book that really should have been titled, "Twenty Ways Your Adopted Kid Will Be Scarred For Life Because Adoption is Traumatic, Awful, and Miserable For the Kid." Stay tuned for my review which will be liberally sprinkled with snark and cussing.
~~
The thought just flew through my mind that maybe, just maybe, this time next year we might be celebrating DH's first Father's Day. I don't think I've ever openly thought that in previous years. It's sorta mind-boggling. :)
~~
Since SIL was insanely generous and kind in taking we ladies to Ireland, I figured (and DH agreed) that it was only fair that we pick up the bill for Father's Day. We picked this place at the mall where he and I had been pleasantly surprised at how good it was, as well as being reasonable. DH had not called his sister with the plans - I'd been trying not to be a nag, as he and his sister are something akin to oil and water - until Monday. By then, her selective hearing only heard that we were picking up the bill. So, when DH finally called her on Monday night, she completely steamrolled him and declared that we're not going where DH and I planned, but to the restaurant where Princess Entitlement works so she could be there. "I'll call [FIL], she said, and essentially hung up, giving DH absolutely no room for rebuttal.
Damn lawyers.
I was completely steamed. There was a part of my brain that wondered if this was part of the price for accepting her offer for the trip, but the rest of me was appalled at her presumption and rudeness. I was shocked at DH for not getting a word in - he's usually much more aggressive than that - but more shocked at SIL. I simmered all night. What really pissed me off was when, after completely upending what we had planned to suit her, she said condescendingly, "Oh, and Allie's father is welcome to join us."
W. T. F.??? Excuse me? As if my father's a second-class citizen. I was infuriated. I stormed upstairs and didn't talk to DH the rest of the night - not so much that it was his fault, but he happened to be the target.
Tuesday morning, I sent out an email that was entitled, "Sunday's Plans Stay As They Are." I was really proud of myself - I didn't say what I was really thinking, and didn't point fingers. I sent it to that whole side of the family. What I did say about the conversation was a) I didn't care for how it went down, and I hope it never happens again, b) plans stay as they are, period, and c) tough cookies that PE won't be able to join us - adulthood sucks sometimes.
Not a peep in reply. Not one.
FIL was peeved at SIL. He's tired of the PE-centric crap too, considering that PE has completely blown them off since she's been home from college. He was supposed to talk to her. DH talked to MIL after the stupid call, and he's not sure that she's on his side - she historically takes SIL's side, no matter what.
If I wind up taking just my dad, fine. I know he'll enjoy it.
I hate family holidays sometimes.
~~
Stay tuned... scathing review to come. :)

1 comment:

Erica said...

Wow! That sounds grueling! I hope the weekends fairs better than the planning has gone.

Next year you BOTH could have something to celebrate!! Isn't crazy to think someone could be pregnant with your baby right now...or that maybe he/she will be conceived today? It's insane to think about!

Erica