Friday, March 13, 2009

Finally Friday

Where did this week go??

~~

First, I’ve been looking for a template that was neither too girly nor too boyish. I found this nice shamrocky thing on TCBOTB – so yeah, while it’s supposed to be for St Paddy’s, it also satisfies my neutral-gender-color requirements. Besides, I have a nice healthy dose of Irish in me, so I can have shamrocks if I want.

In time I’ll find a nice yellow or green to use, but for now, this works.

~~

Tense but not, hyper but not, nervous but not, worried but not... just suspended until it gets itself done. I’m doing a half day at work so that I can finish off the little things I need to do at the house before SW gets there. The house is clean... just needs to be finished off. I know it doesn’t have to be perfect, but I do need to straighten some things. And maybe do a quick zip of the mower in the backyard I haven’t had time to do this week.

I warned DH to do some research and be somewhat prepared for the types of questions we might be asked. He’s chosen to be insouciant. I can’t do anything about it. Oh well.

~~


On Monday, I talked to my sister. Dad has let the cat out of the bag re our decision to adopt.
I was miffed... and miffed specifically at Dad. I told him weeks ago that DH and I weren’t going to say anything until we were certified (and also to not take away the sunshine and excitement of Baby Brother (“BB”) and his wife— YSIL = Younger Sister in Law, as opposed to BP’s (my next eldest brother’s) wife, OSIL or Older Sister in Law—exciting news, due in October), and assumed that I was speaking to Dad in confidence because I had asked him not to say anything for a bit – but Dad blathered to Sis, and I know Sis can’t keep her damn trap shut to save her soul.

I really am vastly disappointed.

I will give Sis credit where it is due - she was excited and supportive and she does understand, she really does. She tried in vain for a second child.

~~

But what I found even more irritating than the loose lips was Sis starting with the ‘they can take your baby away!’ crap regarding domestic adoption, plus the ignorant, insensitive garbage I have seen other adoption bloggers write about regarding adoption in general. *facepalm* I went “No, no, no,” and proceeded to tell her process a, b, c... very frustrating. I guess I’d better get used to it.

~~

BP apparently told Sis that she and I need to hold a shower for YSIL. WTF? As if. Whatever. The presumption is not to be believed! On top of this is the fact that any relationship I might have had with her was destroyed by BP’s interference and BB’s jellyfish spine where BP is concerned. Any chance of a relationship was destroyed long before I met YSIL, and at this point, I’m just not trying. I sent a card, said to let us know where she’s going to register... we’ll send a gift and whatnot, but if BB isn’t going to meet me halfway (as soon as I heard the news I texted him congrats; not even an acknowledgement he got it. Pissed), then I’ll just take the polite high road.

Sis said no, we’re all the way across the country, so how in the hell is that going to work? And why does BP care if YSIL has a shower or not? He wouldn't give a flying damn about mine. Grr.

~~


Julie from alittlepregnant doesn’t like “O.ctom.om” so I’ll employ my alternate name for her: Oc-tard. Well, anyway, Oc-tard supposedly is getting a new, half million dollar home according to the stories on the internet on Tuesday. Supposedly it’s in her dad’s name. How is this going to work when their other house is under foreclosure? Now, as of yesterday, she says that she’s the one paying for it. And how is she going to manage that on a long term basis when she’s not working and probably never will? Helloooooo...

How is that this mentally unstable POS can get away with this? It’s ridiculous – DH and I have to spill our financial, marital, career, and personal guts to just get certified for adoption later today, and... grrrrrrrrr she pisses me off.

If California’s version of child protective services releases those babies to her, my faith in my fellow man will plummet. Not that that faith is very high as it is—true to my cynical nature—but my God, have mercy on these poor children, all fourteen of them.

~~


Speaking of internet sites, I have seriously considered doing our own website for an extension of our profile. Web hosting is not expensive, and I can get either templates or a publishing program (done it before with FrontPage) and do it that way. Still mulling it over.

~~

I plan on adding to the blogroll. Lots of good stuff out there. If you see the additions in the near future, and you don’t see yours (not because I haven’t read it, but because of my brain farts in forgetting where I've been), drop me a line at allies (dot) open (dot) arms (at) gmail (dot) com.

~~


I’ve decided to let the matter re MIL’s BFF on FB hang for a little while. The request isn’t going away. It’ll linger there until either she shoots me a message or the day comes where I feel like dealing with it. It’s not that I have anything to hide, but it’s a different venue when you have friends on there and other people closer to you compared to when you have someone with questionable loyalties. My friends and cousins and I can be as irreverent or borderline naughty as we want. It’s the same with my boss: he’s on FB now, and as his son told him, “I’m glad you’re on FB, but no, I don’t want you as my friend there.”

So it’s the same with Boss’s son: I like being able to vent about my boss or my mother in law or various family members in my status now and again. I can’t do those things if there are certain people wanting to be my friends. I know you can restrict access to your pages to a point, but probably not restricted enough for my tastes if I were to add either Boss or Honorary Aunt.

I haven’t told DH that Honorary Aunt has made the request. I’m not sure he’ll care either way, but I don’t want to turn it into a big deal, either. I think I’m just going to sit on it awhile.
~~
Have a great weekend. I'll let you know how it goes this afternoon.

2 comments:

Erica said...

First, good luck with the home study. I know you'll feel a lot better once you get that out of the way.
I'm a newbie on you blog, but I take it there must be some family history there with your brothers. I'm sorry that you weren't able to share the news with them at your own pace and joyfully.
I made our own web site using GoDaddy and it was pretty easy. Feel free to check it out: growuploved.com
Hope you have a great weekend and everything goes alright today.

Erica

E said...

Like the new look! Best of luck with the home study...when I look back at our visit, it really wasn't the big deal I thought it would be. It was more educational for us with a 5 minute tour of the house thrown in.

It sounds like your dad is so excited, he just couldn't hold it in;)

Oc.tard is a good name...I have other choice ones, but I won't mention them here.

I'm all about ignoring requests from certain people. Or you could confirm and then block the person and it will look like you're no longer on fb...kind of cowardly, but it works:)