Monday, November 30, 2009

We Interrupt This Blog for a Very Important Message

I wrangled with this topic a lot over the course of the last couple of weeks. On one hand, one shouldn’t pay any mind to those looking for negative attention. On the other, such blatant name calling and judgmental bullshit needs to be addressed.

I was thinking about writing about the specific issues brought up so delicately (ahem!) by my uninvited guests, but then that lowers me to their game. Why in the hell should I justify myself to people who come to my world and treat me like shit without provocation? I don’t allow people who are disrespectful to me or mine in my own house in real life, so why should I give the time of day to angry, judgmental, irrational people who apparently do not have the ability to leave a non-inflammatory comment on my blog?

These people who haunt other people’s blogs and constantly leave inflammatory comments are generally referred to as “blog trolls.” Disagreeing with someone’s position on any matter is not trolling. However, when someone posts something that is deliberately insulting and inflammatory, with a recognizable thread of some sort of hysteria and the poster has a penchant for picking on the blogger or his/her readers on every post, then yes, that’s trolling.

But if the idiot posting the flame bait is harping on a specific stance on some subject, I like to call such persons “shit disturbers.” Such people (who are a form of blog trolls) cruise blog lists of a specific topic, looking for a fight. And that is what my beloved rude visitors do – they’re looking to pick a fight. They’re also almost always anonymous, which reveals an interesting streak of being chickenshit to boot. Oh, there are a few who have the hubris to leave their trail, but most of them post a name – probably fictitious – but no email and no other internet home. They just drop by to elicit any response, preferably negative, and attempt to bludgeon this community with the emotionally charged opinion they’re going to force on everyone else.

Cram it, I say; keep your opinions (to which you are completely entitled, btw) in your world and stay out of mine. I do not come to your world and call you names and pass judgment on you.

If you are an adult, you should have the ability to post a comment without resorting to insults, belittlement, derision, emotional flame baiting, judgmental blather or hostility.

We all have the right to post on our pages without being bothered by those who make a point to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass, especially when these people have not been sought out by this community or deliberately provoked by same.

If you cannot control your fingers on the keyboard in my world, go away. Take your poison elsewhere.

Otherwise, I do welcome thoughtful discourse, even if you don’t agree with me or my friends in the community. Rational discussion is useful and enlightening, where both sides take away something , even if nobody ever changes their mind. Some of my best friends are my complete opposite in every way and topic imaginable, and it's the ability to have a rational and friendly discussion that makes it so much fun and makes for such great friendships.

That said:

We now return to my regularly scheduled blogging.

11 comments:

hope548 said...

Amen sister!

mom2many said...

I agree! While I haven't had the hater posts yet, I have been lied about to DHS...that was nice! And in our case, it was by "friends" not foes!!! You just keep on sister!!!

Maru said...

AMEN!

"If you are an adult, you should have the ability to post a comment without resorting to insults, belittlement, derision, emotional flame baiting, judgmental blather or hostility." You couldn't have said those words any better.

I haven't seen any trolls on my blog yet - thank God - but I do hate it my friends get their annoying visits.

Great post!

Kelly said...

You go, girl!

HappyAutisticMama said...

One thing that helped me was to no longer accept anonymous comments. All my commenters have to have an account with either Google or some other service like aol, etc. That, plus comment moderation, takes away some of their motivation. Even then, if their account doesn't really tell me anything, like if they have a blank profile and no blog, I still don't post it if it is just ugly. Heck, I don't post it, period, if it is just ugly. Those comments are upsetting and motherhood is hard enough!

Allie said...

Oh, I never have accepted anon comments because these type of people LOVE to post anonymously.

I do like to post the butthead comments because a) everyone has a right to their opinion, but more importantly b) it shows what everyone's been dealing with.

Beth said...

It's funny that you have all this to say while you are promoting a Tax Credit designed to help those who adopt from foster care and internationally, and yet you are not planning to do either.
But hey, you should get yours, right?
Who cares that that tax credit was not design for you? right?
Adopters need them a tax credit, otherwise, how can agencies explain their need to keep jacking up the price tag, oh sorry, I mean "fees", on wombfresh baby?
I always find it funny when one so full of "ethics" decides to preach to those with a dissenting opinion.
You rock.

Allie said...

Oh, here we go again. *sigh*

Miss. C said...

Wow, if only the blogging world was like Facebook and you could keep the idiots off your page!!! Great post and just because we don't always agree with each other, we as women should show some respect and not leave trash comments!! I guess some women just don't know how to be grown ups...or just have too much time on their hands!!

E said...

Another anonymous poster who has is commenting on a topic he/she obviously has no idea about. *sigh* Well said in your post. Man, you're a better woman that I...I can't take seeing that inflammatory bullshit. I do see your point in keeping it up in one way though....everyone can see the idiotic comments. I can't do it though. Hey, you do rock.

BP said...

You're awesome :)