Sunday, July 12, 2009

What a Pain in the Tushie

I'm picking away at our profile. What to say, what to keep out? What is too much or not enough? how many pics can I add until it looks overdone? The writing came easy. It's the format and graphics.


One thing Bev said was that there's no "wrong" way to do it. You can pluck ideas from others, but don't completely copy someone's work. I didn't doubt that people do that - hell, my little brother plagiarized my English 102 paper, on a topic that he didn't know squat about. Anything'a possible.


I loves me some Art Explosion Scrapbook Factory Deluxe 4.0. You can either use their templates or create your own layout. I don't want frilly - I don't want overdone - but I want some color. It's relatively minimal. I'm not twelve, and more than likely neither will my readers be twelve.

One thing I will not do: write a novel. I've read of folks doing 15, 21, 25, 28, even 30 pages. Seriously? I'm thinking 8 pages, tops. Cover page, two pages about us, two pages of pics, two pages of miscellaneous things outside of our life, then the back page. It's sort of like writing a research paper - target your audience, and then work on not boring that audience to death.


I'd like to have this out before DH and I head to Washington, DC next week. We'll see. I'd really like to get the ball rolling.

6 comments:

Erica said...

Good luck with the profile! Just when you think you've got the tough part behind you with the BM letter, it's time for the profile! I have not heard of that application before. What file format does it create the profiles in? Do you have to print yourself or can you take it somewhere to be printed?

Erica

Allie said...

It has its own format, but you can print it directly, publish to the web, and/or flip it to PDF. The latter is what I really appreciate so that I can email it to people when I'm done.

Donna said...

Good luck. We have all the writing done, but for the life of me picking out photos is impossible. It has gotten to the point that friends have offered to come pick them for me.

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Never mind my last comment...you just answered my question! I might have to check it out. I've been creating stuff in PhotoShop...but this sounds SO easy! We have to print our book through Shutterfly so I guess I'll check and see if this would support that. Thanks for the info! And good luck again wrapping it up! :)

Allie said...

Photoshop I would think is overkill for this sort of thing. If I did it in PS, it would look awful.

I toyed with flipping the profile into PDF and I have to say I'm really happy with it - I just think I need to stick to the higher resolution when converting it so there's less distortion. It means that I can pop it onto a flash/thumb drive, take it to a printer, and off we go. :)

Just Believing said...

I agree 8 pages tops...what agency are you working with and thank you so much for recommending that scrapbooking program!