Thursday, May 28, 2009

Brain v. Heart

It’s interesting to know something intellectually, but another to convince the heart of the thing.

My brain knows that the court has until late September to fire off the yea or nay (unlike Mrs. H., we didn’t get a draft or final of the SW’s report to the court – SW just said everything’s fine, nothing to worry about. Fat lot of help), and I know it. I know it!

So why, upon my return from Ireland, did I maniacally rip through the mail pile looking for the envelope from the agency with the good news?

My brain knows that an adoption, after certification, may take months or (God forbid) a year or two.

So why, when I passed by the baby department at Macy’s on the way to another department, smile to myself in anticipation as I saw all the little tiny clothes?

My brain still knows that a baby won’t be dropped in our laps in the next month.

So why do I pore over nursery ideas and color schemes, and am finding myself wanting to push DH out of that little room sooner rather than later? It's silly because it's still so early.

...and so on. I know what it is, intellectually: it’s FINALLY that silver lining that my poor battered heart has been looking for all these years, with all that heartache. It's the long-buried optimism daring to peek through my habitual cynicism.
It's a nice feeling. :)

4 comments:

Laura said...

I can completely relate to your post! I have been doing the same thing. I know that it will still take time until we have our baby in our arms, BUT I am ready to start getting the nursery set up soon! It does feel good to be moving toward something real, and not just a wish!

Mrs H said...

YAY! Losing cynicism is good! Cute little baby clothes are good! Wanna meet in Kansas and go shopping??

I asked our SW....she said we don't have to be certified by the court. I wonder if she knows what she's talking about (but I wonder that a lot)!

StylinMom said...

i can totally relate.....and it does feel good to think about the fun cute stuff....it makes the not so fun stuff bareable!

great blog...thanks for following mine...:)

m:)

Erica said...

Hope is the think with feathers.... right? We can't help but WANT to be happy. And God help us the day that our little thing with feathers doesn't want to perk up and sing any more. Pretty soon, you'll officially be paper pregnant and then why hold back!? hee hee

Erica