Monday, February 23, 2009

Information Requested

Today, I continued my hunt for good internet resources. Through a blog that referred to the boards for iVillage, and it looked promising. The link itself was sorta ‘meh,’ so I clicked the link for their adoption main page.

Seriously? What a cluttered pain in the ass. Ads here, a column there, and no rhyme or reason. Very annoying. Just crap everywhere. Needs a serious revamp.

One story has pieces only a third of a page long, but it has four total pages, all of which are a third of a page long. FAIL.

One part of that same article went to a link that went nowhere. FAIL.

Articles that have a teaser that never gets revealed. FAIL.

Maybe the message boards are better. While they’re clunky, and only have 4 posts per page (probably because of all those damn sigs, tickers and blinkies), I already found some good info from various posters. But it is a headache.

Do you have suggestions for resources?

~~

One of the topics in the article I referred to above was “Prepare yourself for private questions.” It listed one as “What was the most difficult problem you and your spouse ever had to face, and how did you resolve it?”

This question alone has me scratching my head. DH and I have an idyllic marriage. Honestly. I know it sounds very Pollyanna and naive, but it’s true. We rarely “fight.” When there is a conflict, it’s more like two irritated cats hissing at each other with a swipe or two of paws, but no claws, no fur flying. We always wind up purring and licking one another, figuratively of course. Our house and life and our relationship are very peaceful. We dislike discord and politeness is the rule of the day.

Have we had disagreements? Of course, don’t be silly. We’re still humans, not a pair or paragons.
If anyone’s difficult, it’s me. By the end of our lives, he’ll probably deserve canonization. But I’m not a stark raving bloody bonkers bitch, either.

Back on semi-topic, though. If that question is a taste of the flavor of questions that we’ll face, I need some heads-up. These are questions that require some forethought to answer.

What were some of the difficult questions in your home study?

2 comments:

Erica said...

Oh, where to begin....the questions are all head-scratchers. LOL Our packet had some related to your sex life (not kidding), how have we grieved our infertility, what do you think is the strong point of your marriage...how do you feel about openess with a birth mom, what are your feelings on transracial/transcultural adoptions...It goes on and on and on. But, just give yourself time to honestly answer them and you'll be alright. I think for women, they are easier because we are used to analyzing and expressing our feelings. For men, though, these questions are torture and takes them a while to put thoughts to paper.

E said...

Have you tried adoption.com for their message boards? It's pretty active. They have boards for 'Before Adoption' and 'Adoptive parents' (I think?). The 'Adoptive parents' board is more active, but many people waiting to adopt or just starting out hang out there.

Some of the questions from the hs that I remember were about our childhoods....generally, how were our childhoods, how did our parents discipline, and how would we do things differently than our parents, if anything? Also, the question asking "how do we plan on disciplining?" was difficult. Of course, they hope to hear that physical discipline will not be used. Other than that, the question took a bit more thought compared to others...I just felt silly talking about disciplining a child as if I know what I'm talking about.

I'm enjoying reading your blog!